Winter service dress jacket : Private N S Eglinton, Australian Army Medical Womens Service

Place Oceania: Australia
Accession Number REL30714.001
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Uniform
Physical description Brass; Wool
Maker Unknown
Place made Australia
Date made 1942
Conflict Second World War, 1939-1945

Khaki wool winter service dress jacket. The jacket is fully lined and has four pockets, two inset below the waist with flaps over the opening, and two pleated breast pockets with buttoned flaps. The jacket has a back vent and is fitted at the waist, flaring slightly over the hips. The jacket has a fold down collar and is fastened at the front by four brass Australian Military Force buttons. A belt of the same fabric is fastened around the waist by a metal slide buckle. A white maker's label is sewn inside the collar. The jacket has rising sun collar badges and 'AUSTRALIA' shoulder titles. These titles have been adapted from the VAD uniform, with the 'VAD' letters removed. There is a colour patch for 128 General Hospital sewn on the upper left arm and a woven Red Cross badge on the right. The pockets contain a booklet of Red Cross matches, a train ticket from Townsville to Rocky Creek and some scrap paper with an address.

History / Summary

Worn by SFX15101 Private Nancy Stewart Eglinton. Eglinton was born in Adelaide, South Australia in January 1918 and enlisted in the Voluntary Aid Detachment on 10 November 1941. In 1942 Eglinton, with the majority of VADs, was transferred to the newly formed Australian Army Medical Women's Service. During the war she served in Northern Queensland, and possibly in New Guinea towards the end of the war. She served with 128 Australian General Hospital (AGH), 2/6 AGH and when discharged on 26 April 1946 she was serving with 101 AGH, based in Northfield, Adelaide. At the end of war she met and later married S3509 Colin Malcolm McEachern, a telegraphist from the Royal Australian Navy who served as a coast watcher during the war. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal during his service in HMAS Parkes.