Whistle and German identity disc : Sergeant A E Green, 9 Battalion

Place Europe: Western Front
Accession Number REL34873
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Heraldry
Physical description Chrome-plated brass, Cotton, White metal
Maker Ross Robbins & Co
Place made Australia: Victoria, Melbourne, Germany
Date made c 1915
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918

German ID disc suspended from a two-tone length of cord. This cord is entwined with a cotton lanyard attached to a whistle. The oval shaped disc is made of whitemetal and has two holes at the top for the cord. It is engraved with the name, address, date of birth and unit details of the original owner. It reads: 'Robert Grieshaber./Hamburg Heusweg 84/19.2.84/ERS.BATL.RES.J.R.203/2.K./No. 1698./Lehr.I R/1K. Nr1393'. The whistle is made of chromed brass with a circular ring at the end for threading the plaited cord through. This ring is stamped with a broad arrow and the maker's details.

History / Summary

This identity disc was collected on the Western Front by Sergeant Albert Edward Green and attached to his whistle. A 28 year old farmer from Lismore, NSW, Green enlisted in the AIF on 22 July 1915. He was assigned to the 6th reinforcements of 25 Battalion, with the service number 2682, and after basic training sailed from Brisbane for service overseas aboard HMAT Seang Lee on 21 October 1915. Green contREL/18721.001inued his training in Egypt and transferred to 9 Battalion, AIF on 28 February 1916, changing his service number to 2682A, before the battalion sailed to France for service on the Western Front. He was awarded the Military Medal on 25 February 1917 during the fierce fighting which caused the German retreat from the Hindenberg Line. In September 1917 Green undertook specialist training in England and qualified as a bomb (grenade) instructor, and in marksmanship, and was attached to a training battalion as an instructor for a number of months before rejoining 9 Battalion. In July 1918 he suffered accidental gunshot wounds to both hands and subsequently had the tips of the middle and fourth fingers on his left hand amputated. He saw no further active service and was allowed extended leave in England. In November 1919 he married Margaret Annie Waterman before returning to Australia the following month.