Type H oxygen mask : Flight Lieutenant B J Reynolds, RAAF

Accession Number REL35166
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Helmet
Physical description Bakelite, Cotton tape, Elastic, Leather, Nickel-plated steel, Rubber
Maker Air Ministry
Place made United Kingdom: England
Date made 1951
Conflict Period 1950-1959
Period 1960-1969
Malayan Emergency, 1948-1960

Type H oxygen mask, consisting of a khaki rubber mask with adjustable cotton tape carrier straps, a pair of elastic attachment strap with a pair of leather reinforced snap fasteners on one side and metal securing buckle at other. Fitted with a Type 57 microphone unit with wired plug and bakelite on/off switch, and wire mesh exhalation filter. Lacks breathing tube. The exterior of the mask is marked with a defence arrow and the word 'MEDIUM'.

History / Summary

Related to the service of 032564 Flight Lieutenant Bernard John Reynolds, born Goondiwindi, Queensland on 6 March 1931. Reynolds graduated from No 2 Course, RAAF Point Cook December 1952 after training on Wirraways. Assigned to 22 (Mustang) Squadron, Schofields, NSW, he converted to Mustang and Vampires at No 2 Operational Training Unit (2 OTU), Williamtown in the following year. In July 1953 Reynolds transferred to 2 Squadron, Amberley, flying Lincolns and acted as co-pilot on one of three Lincolns tasked with flying through the atomic cloud generated by the British nuclear test at Emu Field, South Australia on 15 October 1953. With the rank of Flying Officer, he was transferred to RAAF Tengah at Singapore and spent 1954 and 1955 flying Lincolns operationally with 1 and 6 Squadrons on missions in Malaya during the Emergency. Reynolds returned to Australia in 1956, attending a Flying Instructors Course on Wirraway, Vampire and Winjeels and, promoted to Flight Lieutenant, served as a jet instructor on Vampire aircraft in 1957-58 at Central Flying School (East Sale). After serving as personal aide to Air Marshall Sir Frederick Scherger from 1959-60, Reynolds converted to the CAC CA-27 Sabre in 1961 and was appointed Flight Commander of 76 Squadron, Williamtown in 1962, a position he held until 1963. During the same period, he was leader of 76 Squadron's Red Diamonds Aerobatic Team, flying Sabres. Towards the end of 1963, Flight Lieutenant Reynolds was transferred to Perrin Air Force Base, Texas, USA on an exchange posting flying F102A Delta Daggers and the T33A Thunderbird trainer, the latter aircraft used by the Americans for aerobatic flying. In 1967, Reynolds was promoted to Wing Commander with postings at RAAF Staff College; Air Force Office, Canberra; Commanding Officer of the Mirage Operational Conversion Course at Williamtown (1969-70); Senior Air Staff Officer, IADS at Butterworth, Malaysia (1971-72) and later Air Commodore, Butterworth, 1979-83. Having served as Honorary ADC to two Govenors- General (Kerr and Cowen), and reached the rank of Air Vice Marshall, Reynolds retired from the RAAF in November 1985. He died just four months later, on 10 February 1986, of cancer. The Type H oxygen mask was used with both the Type C and E helmets which Reynolds used.