Next of kin plaque : Private W Hindley, 4 Battalion, AIF

Place Europe: France, Picardie, Somme, Albert Bapaume Area, Pozieres Area, Pozieres
Accession Number REL40723.001
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Heraldry
Physical description Bronze
Maker Unknown
Place made United Kingdom
Date made c 1922
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918

Bronze next of kin plaque. The plaque shows Britannia and a lion together with the words 'HE DIED FOR FREEDOM AND HONOUR'. The name of the dead soldier, 'WILLIAM HINDLEY', is inscribed in raised letters within a raised rectangle.

History / Summary

Next of kin plaque sent to Mrs Margaret Mary Hindley, widow of 2650 Private William Hindley who was killed in action on 24 July 1916.

William Hindley was born at Macclesfield in Cheshire, England. He served with the British Army for eight years and fought in the South African War. Hindley later immigrated to Australia and in 1914 married Margaret Davey and began a family. At the time of his enlistment in the AIF on 30 July 1915 Hindley was living in Paddington, NSW, and working as a cabinet maker. He was posted to the 19th Battalion and left Australia aboard HMAT Euripides on 2 November bound for Egypt. He transferred to the 4th Battalion on 14 February 1916 and became a signaler with B Company. The unit left Egypt in March for service in France and the Western Front. Hindley took part in the Battle of Pozieres which began on the night of 22/23 July. He was killed in action on 24 July when he was hit by a shell. Hindley has no known grave, and his name is recorded on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial.

Hindley left behind his widow, Margaret, and two children, May and baby William Alfred, who was born after Hindley left Australia for service overseas. William Alfred died in 1918. Margaret later married Samuel Donaghy in 1920. A First World War veteran, 3505 Private Donaghy served with the 19th and 54th Battalions. During fighting at Fromelles on 20 July 1916, he was taken prisoner by the Germans. Donaghy returned to Australia in April 1919 and was discharged medically unfit on 4 January 1920.