Prior to the Dawn Service
From 4.30am, excerpts from the letters and diaries of Australians who experienced war firsthand will be read aloud by a representative from each of the armed forces. Following these readings all will be quiet before the commencement of the Dawn Service.
5.30 am to 6 am
The Australian War Memorial hosts the Dawn Service in close cooperation with the Returned and Services League of Australia ACT.
Visitor information and site safety
- The Dawn Service is a standing ceremony conducted in the dark prior to sunrise; accordingly, the weather is likely to be cold and we encourage visitors to dress for the conditions.
- We ask all visitors to be aware of their surroundings as the grounds can be uneven and may be icy or slippery in the early hours of the morning. We therefore advise caution when entering the Memorial grounds and when moving around the site.
- You should allow plenty of time to travel safely to the Memorial. Use of public transport is recommended.
- Those planning on walking to the Memorial via Anzac Parade should keep to the footpaths and remain off the road as the shuttle buses will be in operation.
- On-site lighting is provided until 5.15 am.
There is no allocated seating for the Dawn Service. Visitors are welcome to occupy the seating put in place for the National Ceremony, or stand on the Parade Ground. Visitors will be required to vacate this seating at the conclusion of the Dawn Service.
Road closures are in effect in the areas of Limestone Avenue, Treloar Crescent, Fairbairn Avenue and Anzac Parade.
Please check back for details prior to Anzac Day 2018.
There is limited parking onsite for mobility impaired visitors only. Vehicles displaying a government issued parking pass will be granted access. Parking is filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Access to car parks is via Treloar Crescent.
In previous years, the Australian War Memorial and Transport Canberra have provided free bus services to and from the Dawn Service and National Ceremony.
Please check this webpage regularly for further updates closer to Anzac Day 2018.
The Memorial is now taking expressions of interest from community groups who would like to be involved in providing refreshments for the 2018 Anzac Day Dawn Service.
If you wish to submit an expression of interest please complete the form linked below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Wednesday 14 March 2018.
Please check this webpage regularly for further updates closer to the date.
For further enquiries please email: email@example.com