Happy 5th birthday, Flickr Commons
January 16, 2013 marks the 5th anniversary of the Commons on Flickr. The pool of images has grown to more than 250,000 from 56 different libraries, archives, and museums around the world.
To celebrate the occasion, we have put together a set of photos from our collection showing celebrations at the end of the two World Wars. While most were taken in the streets of Sydney or Melbourne, one was taken in New Guinea and one in Borneo. The joy and jubilation of the people in many of the images is almost palpable.
Have a look; maybe you will recognise someone, or know the place the photo was taken.
The Memorial joined the Commons on 11 November 2008; you can see the images we have added to the site in our photostream on Flickr Commons.
But wait, there's more to see in this celebration:
- The Library of Congress has put together some galleries of favourites from across the Commons
- The State Library of Queensland here in Australia has a "bunch of fives" photos and a blog post about them
- The National Library of Ireland has a lovely 2 part blog post celebrating the Commons: Part one and Part two
- James Morley has posted his thoughts - and some staggering statistics - on Flickr Commons
- Update: Flickr have put up a post too, with links and well-deserved thanks to George Oates and the Library of Congress.