|Physical description||Gilded metal, Gold bullion wire, Leather, Plastic, Polished cotton, Wool|
Commonwealth Government Clothing Factory
|Date made||c 1960s|
Second World War, 1939-1945
RAAF officers cap : Group Captain I L Campbell
RAAF officers peaked cap with gold bullion oak leaf embroidery on the front edge of the peak. The cap has a black woven cap band and an embroidered badge with a padded gold bullion and red velvet crown, gilded metal eagle and gold bullion laurel leaves. The sweatband is made of brown leather and the inside of the cap is lined with black polished cotton and clear plastic. A maker's label is sewn inside the crown reads 'M.TX SIZE 71/4 A (broad arrow) F MADE IN AUSTRALIA'.
Worn by O368 Group Captain Ian Lindsay Campbell, born on 7 October 1914 in Elwood, Victoria. Campbell joined the RAAF in 1937 and served as a wireless operator and air gunner before qualifying as a pilot. He was commissioned pilot officer in July 1938, and promoted to flying officer in June 1939. At the outbreak of the Second World War Campbell was posted to 12 Squadron, and then in 1940 to 13 Squadron, based in Darwin. He was attached for a short time to the Royal Air Force (RAF) and served in the Middle East with 203 Squadron, RAF. In February 1942 Campbell was posted to 459 Squadron, RAAF, and promoted to squadron leader in April. On 16 October he was promoted to acting wing commander and became commanding officer of 454 Squadron, RAAF, based at Qaiyara, Iraq, and equipped with Blenheim and Baltimore light bombers. Campbell returned to Australia where he became commanding officer of 14 Squadron, RAAF, in March 1944, and RAAF Station Canberra in November. From 1949-51 he was posted to RAAF Station Mallela, South Australia and operated aircraft in support of the weapons research establishment at Salisbury. Campbell returned to the Middle East on exchange duty with the RAF in the early 1950s. In 1956 he was posted to the School of Land Air Warfare. Campbell was placed in command of RAAF Station Richmond in 1960. After 31 years service he retired in 1964 with the rank of group captain.