|Object type||Communications equipment|
|Date made||c 1917 - 1918|
First World War, 1914-1918
Airfield landing light, Electric, from Morville aerodrome
Large electric lamp reflector, set upright into a circular shaped metal container, 300 mm in diameter, and 250 mm high. The remains of an electrical conduit leads out from the lower side of the box. The lamp is mising its bulb. A modern perspex cover is attached to the upper surface of the container.
This was one of thirteen such lamps, laid into the ground in a 'T' formation at Flavion (Morville) aerodrome in Belgium. Morville aerodrome was established by the Germans in mid 1918 as a base for Riesenflugzeugarbteilung 500 (RFA 500). This squadron operated Zeppelin Staaken R planes, which were used to attack targets in England and France. These lamps were used to guide the aircraft in to the airfield at night after a raid.