Goddard, Henry Arthur, CMG, DSO, VD (Brigadier General, b.1869 - d.1955)
Collection relating to the First World War service of Brigadier General Henry Arthur Goddard CMG DSO VD. Collection consists of numerous personal papers such as diaries for 1918 and 1919 and personal correspondence between 1917 and 1955; as well as military correspondence and records for 17 Battalion 1915-1916, 35 Battalion 1916-1918 and 9 Infantry Brigade, 1917-1919, maps and unit histories collected by Goddard throughout his military career. Significant events include the evacuation of Gallipoli, the Battle of Messines, Broodseinde Ridge, Passchendaele, Villers-Bretonneux, Morlancourt, Bray-Sur-Somme and the attack on the Hindenburg Line. Also contains a Field Engineers August reinforcements 1917 B Company menu, with signatures and an album containing letters, newspaper cuttings, photographs relating to the service of Brig Gen Henry Arthur Goddard and post-war activities. A finding aid is located in the first box of material.
- Series 1: Diaries and Notebooks of Henry Arthur Goddard
- Series 2: Correspondence to and from Henry Arthur Goddard
- Series 3: Unit Records collected by Henry Arthur Goddard
- Series 4: Unit histories collected by Henry Arthur Goddard
- Series 5: Maps collected and used by Henry Arthur Goddard
- Series 6: Miscellaneous items relating to Henry Arthur Goddard