|Object type||Black & white - Glass original half plate negative|
British Official Photographer
|Place made||France: Picardie, Somme, Albert Bapaume Area, Pozieres Area, Pozieres|
|Date made||1 August 1916|
First World War, 1914-1918
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
Informal group portrait of eight Australian officers having breakfast in a shell hole in Sausage ...
Informal group portrait of eight Australian officers having breakfast in a shell hole in Sausage Valley in the forward area near Pozieres, France. They are using wooden food crates for a table, but they have crockery and a teapot. Identified from left to right: Major Eric Clive Plant DSO and bar, 49th Battalion from Melbourne, Victoria; Lieutenant Dougal Neil Rentoul MC, 20th Battalion from Hawthorn, Victoria (killed in action in France on 3 May 1917); General John Gellibrand CB DSO DSM from East Risdon, Tasmania (founder of the Legacy movement); and Lieutenant R Smith, 22nd Battalion. Sitting on the rim of the shell hole is Captain Stanley George Savige MC, DSO, 24th Battalion From Prahran, Victoria (a founder of Legacy in Victoria) and Major Reginald Havill Norman DSO, MC, 5th Infantry Brigade from North Sydney, NSW. In the right foreground is Captain Walter Richard Gilchrist MC, 4th Division Engineers from Mosman, NSW (killed in action in France on 3 May 1917) and Captain Jack Roydhouse MC, 28th Battalion from Subiaco Western Australia.
Share this page
- Distinguished Service Order : Major R H Norman, 12 Infantry Brigade Headquarters, AIF
- Belgian Croix de Guerre : Major R H Norman, 12 Infantry Brigade, AIF
- Military Cross : Captain R H Norman, 6 Infantry Brigade, AIF
- 1914-15 Star : 2nd Lieutenant R H Norman, Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force
- British War Medal 1914-20 : Major R H Norman, 12 Infantry Brigade, AIF
- Victory Medal : Major R H Norman, 12 Infantry Brigade, AIF
- British War Medal 1939-45 : Brigadier R H Norman, Australian Army
- Australia Service Medal 1939-45 : Brigadier R H Norman, Australian Army
- Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers' Decoration : Major R H Norman, Australian Army
- Studio portrait of Lieutenant (Lt) Dougal Neil (Niel) Rentoul MC, 2 Divisional Signal Company ...