Researching Australian military service
Overview of Australians in Iraq
- Iraq: the Second Gulf War, 2003–09
- Department of Defence, The war in Iraq: ADF operations in the Middle East in 2003 (Dept. of Defence, )
Personal service records
These files are held by the Department of Defence, Service and Personnel Records.
Those who died while serving
The Roll of Honour records the names of servicemen and servicewomen who died during or as a result of service with Australian military forces. The Roll of Honour introduction provides detailed information about Roll of Honour eligibility.
Where they served
As it is less than 20 years since official records for this conflict were created, files are not yet available for public access (for more information see the Archives Act 1983).
Medals and awards
Refer to our research guides:
Photographs and other sources
- Collections Search gives access to digitised images of photographs held by the Memorial.
- Trove gives access to images of photographs and other pictures held by a range of major Australian libraries, archives and other cultural institutions
- Virtual War Memorial Australia is a commemorative collection, purpose built to honour the personal experiences of those who have served the nation in times of conflict.