Advice to Applicants
Thank you for the interest you have shown in a vacancy at the Australian War Memorial. We have compiled the following information to assist you with your application. Please read it carefully.
Employment conditions are in accordance with the Memorial’s Teamwork Agreement. To be eligible for ongoing or non-ongoing employment, Australian citizenship is required.
The Memorial is committed to employment equity. Our selection process aims to ensure that selections for engagement, promotion or movement are fair and equitable and made without discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, ethnicity, or disability.
Before you write your application
Please read the position description carefully. The position description describes the tasks and functions associated with the vacancy as well as listing the abilities and experience the selection committee will be seeking in the successful applicant. Should you have any questions about the job or the functional area in which it is located, please phone the nominated Contact Officer for the position.
Writing your application
Applications must include the following to ensure the selection panel has sufficient information to assess your claims.
- Application form completed online to assist with the processing of your application. Information provided will be treated confidentially and may be used for statistical purposes.
- A maximum two page statement addressing the Selection Criteria or stating your claims for the position. (Please refer to the individual job advertisement for specific requirements).
- A resume or CV (including personal details and work history).
Please note: Your CV and response to the selection criteria should be prepared prior to commencing your application form. As there is no ability to save your application and revisit, it must be completed in one session.
Writing to Memorial Selection Criteria
If you are asked to submit a response to the selection criteria, keep in mind the expectations of the job as outlined in the position documentation. The following points will assist you in preparing this statement.
- Relate your skills and abilities to each of the selection criteria.
- Don’t just make claims – you need to demonstrate clearly that you possess the required skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications to meet the selection criteria.
- Use examples (which can be verified by a referee) of achievements indicating how you have used your skills. Remember we are interested in your involvement in specific situations so use ‘I’ instead of ‘we’.
- Include only relevant information (preferably examples from the last 2-3 years), outlining your achievements against that particular criteria. Where possible include an indicator of success or the result.
- Be concise.
Lodging your application
Please submit your application via our online application form.
Please note: there is no ability to save your application and revisit - it must be completed in one session.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is submitted by the closing date and time specified in the advertisement. The Memorial does not usually accept late applications unless candidates have been granted an extension by the contact officer before the closing date.
Where possible we aim to have recruitment processes completed within 2 months from the date of advertising.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase in the selection process. Where possible at least one week’s notice will be given before interviews. To those applicants who are not shortlisted, we extend our thanks for considering the Memorial as a potential employer.
Please note if you are invited to attend an interview at the Memorial, you will be required to do so at your own expense. In circumstances where you may be out of Canberra or unable to attend the interview in person we can arrange Zoom or Video Conferencing interviews.