The Great War Issue
- The 12th Battalion’s flag by Nigel Steel.
The Australian Imperial Force battalions forged their unique identities.
- Campaign Season by Meleah Hampton.
A year-by-year sketch of the campaigns of the Great War and Australia’s role in it.
- The war that ended peace by Margaret MacMillan.
In 1914 there were forces against the war which might have prevailed.
- Power of the dreadnoughts by Andrew Lambert.
Britain’s superior navy might have averted the First World War.
- The Western Front 1914-1916 by Robin Prior.
How the early fighting in France led to trench warfare.
- Steaming to war by Greg Gilbert.
HMAS Australia took on the German fleet in August 1914.
- First to fight by Michael Kelly.
At the battle of Bitapaka, the AN&MEF were the first Australians in combat.
- The first to fall by Aaron Pegram.
Among the first casualties of the First World War were Australians fighting in the British Army.
- Art in a time of war by Claire Baddeley.
The experience of 1914-18 seen through the eyes of Australian artists.
- Spinning the reels: Picking high fruit in the arid expanse by Stephanie Boyle.
- Briefing: Blasting with Big Bertha by Shane Casey.
- The Last Post: Captain Keith Heritage 1882-1916 by Meleah Hampton.
- In the picture: Ambulance Waggon No.1 by Edwin Ride.
- Plus regular features, including book reviews, letters, and Memorial news.