- Another brick in the wall by Nigel Steel.
It has been a long process to prove the existence of a mass grave containing Australian and British soldiers buried by the Germans after the battle of Fromelles.
- My quest to find ‘the missing’ by Lambis Englezos.
Why spend years looking for a burial site that might not exist?
- The battle of Fromelles by Ashley Ekins.
More than 5,000 Australians were killed, wounded or taken prisoner in the worst day in Australian military history.
- Australia’s Fromelles prisoners by Aaron Pegram.
- Reflections on a battlefield by Peter Pedersen.
The resonances of a dreadful night more than 90 years ago can still be felt in the fields below Fromelles.
- Digging hallowed ground by Tony Pollard.
At last the bodies have been found.
- The missing of Fromelles and the Kriegsarchiv, Munich by Peter Barton.
The German archives are immensely detailed, and have proved to be a great resource.
- The last to fall by Peter Burness.
By the end of October 1918, the First World War was over for most Australians. Sadly, for those few still fighting, the war’s final days could still prove deadly.
- A very different war by Meleah Ward.
It took several years of changing technology and tactics to place the Western allies in a position to win the war.
- Armistice 1918 by Peter Hart.
The war’s end finally came, but it left a world changed utterly.
- Age did weary them by Christina Spittel.
All over the world, the last veterans of the Great War are dying.
- They shot the horses – didn’t they? by Jean Bou.
Myth and misinformation surrounds the fate of the Australian Light Horse’s mounts at the end of the First World War.
- The ghost plane by John White.
In 1917 two Australian pilots in an RE8 fended off six German fighters, then disappeared.
- Tunnelling to freedom by Amanda Rebbeck.
Boldness, resourcefulness and grim determination were the keys to escaping when Australians found themselves prisoners of war. Even then it often was not enough.
- Plus regular features including Reflections, Mail Call and Book Reviews