Martinsyde G100/G102

The Martinsyde G100 was originally designed as a long-range fighter and escort aircraft and was thus fitted with quite a powerful engine in comparison to aircraft of similar size. When it was first deployed over the Western Front in early 1916, however, it proved sluggish in flight and was thus vulnerable to German fighters. It was subsequently re-employed as a bomber; its powerful engine meant that it could lift a significant bomb load, and it served in this capacity until early 1918. The size, lifting capacity, and handling characteristics of the G100 led British pilots to nickname it the "Elephant", but to Australian pilots it was the "Tinsyde", because of its construction During 1916 the aircraft was fitted with an even more powerful engine, resulting in the G102 design. G100 and G102s were also employed in the bomber role in Egypt, Palestine and Mesopotamia.

Specifications:



Type:   Biplane long range scout/light bomber
Entered service:   1916
Crew:   1
Wing span:   11.58 m
Length:   8.08 m
Weight (laden):   1,099 kg (G100)
1,114 kg (G102)
Ceiling:   4,267 m (G100)
4,876 m (G102)
Endurance:   5.5 hrs (G100)
4.5 hrs (G102)
Speed:   152.9 km/h (G100)
165.7 km/h (G102)
Armament:   1 x .303-in Lewis machine-gun
104 kg of bombs